Spousal or Common-law Partner

Spousal or Common-law Partner

The spouse sponsorship program, a subsection of the family class immigration allows Canadian citprogram, allowsto sponsor their spouse for Canadian permanent residence. A spouse is a legal married partner that has obtained a marriage license.

  • The minimum age requirement is 18 years old.

Being a permanent resident, you can also sponsor your common-law partner, i.e to whom you are not legally married.

  • Your partner can be of either sex.
  • Must be at least 18 years old.
  • You both must be living for at least 12 months in a conjugal relationship without long periods apart.
  • You must have proof of your relation.

Conjugal partner: someone to whom you are not legally married and who is not a common-law partner for several reasons, if you can’t live in their country or marry each other. You have to submit proof if you want to sponsor your conjugal partner.

  • Proof of the age of 18 years old.
  • Proof that you have been in a relationship for at least one year.
  • Proof of refusals for long stays in each other’s countries.

Nationwide Educational Services will make your immigration process smooth and hassle-free, by assisting you with sponsoring your spouse.


Frequently Asked


Yes, if you are a permanent resident of the citizen of Canada. You can bring your spouse along with you permanently.

A common-law partner is a marriage-like relationship. If a person is living with another partner to whom he/she is not married is known as a Common-law partner. Common law can avail many of the benefits that legal marriage has.

You can call your spouse in Canada. For that, you have to submit proof of living in Canada, identity documents, and a certificate of marriage. Then, police clearances from the countries your spouse lived in the previous 6 months.

Your common-law partner can avail of many immigrant benefits, if you are above 18 and you are a permanent resident or a citizen of Canada, your common-law partner can permanently reside in Canada.